Sunday, January 25, 2009

Color Me Pretty

Well, we are all settled in our new abode. We love it so much here! I'm looking out my patio door at the field full of hundreds of geese outside (seriously, I had to take a picture yesterday, it's the craziest thing ever), and the beautiful white snow on the ground. Looking at all the white gave me inspiration for this post.

Why is it that brides are so afraid of color?

When I worked for a bridal salon, brides would pick these bold, BEAUTIFUL colors! They would gush about the dresses and flowers and how pretty they are going to be... and that's it. The cake- white. The linens- white. White on white on ZZZzzzzz. Sorry, I dozed off thinking about all the white. But seriously, it's like a sterile, white hospital.

I'll admit, I'm a little bit nontraditional with what I want for my wedding. The only thing white at my wedding will be my dress, and even that will be ivory. But I'm not afraid to integrate color into an event. Maybe it's because I think about how it transforms the entire look of the room and really ties the event together. Some brides get so scared when it comes to putting color on something other than their bridesmaids. I think it's because they are afraid it will ruin the elegance of the evening.

One of the first weddings I worked at the Four Seasons was a gorgeous color scheme of tangerine and a hot pink. I was so excited to see the cake! They had wonderful bright flowers and our fiber optic chandeliers were lit up pink. And when pastry brought down the wedding cake, I felt like someone had just told me my dog died. Don't get me wrong, they do a beautiful job and the piping on it was exquisite. But it was white. White white white. And so was the next wedding's cake, and the next one, and the next one. Come on ladies, am I getting through to anyone yet????! And linens come in every color under the sun now. So, there's really no excuse at all. You, as a bride, actually stand out more in the room when everything else is in color and you are in a white dress.

So, what are some great, bold color combinations?

Tangerine, fuchsia, and lime
Teal and bronze
teal and lime
navy and lime
Merlot and turquoise

And my favorite (because it's mine!) raspberry, tangerine and grape.

And the worst color combo I have ever seen? Gray and baby pink. Yeah, like a stuffed elephant. Blah.

So color your wedding, and don't be afraid to color outside the lines!

OH... and the geese. Crazy. I couldn't even get them all in the picture there were so many.



1 comment:

  1. OK, Canadian Geese... very cool. Their poop, very big, messy and stinky!

    I must have lived under their migration line... Long Island, NY. They were crazy for our park across the street.

    You couldn't walk through there, with kids, dog, anyone.

    Yuck. Best of luck!!! Smile.

    ReplyDelete

For Better or Worse...